As I drove to work today I noticed the flags at Lover's Lane and Central Expressway at half mass. You know, the University Park flag, USA flag, and the Texas flag. And for a second, I thought why are they at half mass? And then I immediately remembered the tragic mass shooting at the Navy yard committed by Aaron Alexis. That is bad when mass and school shootings are becoming the norm. Well I am tired of seeing flags at half mass. And after every shooting gun control gets a bunch of attention. What doesn't get a whole lot of attention is the fact that almost every mass or school shooter has been on anti depressants, anti psychotics, or a combination of both. It is not secret that these mind altering drugs can lead to suicidal and homicidal tendencies. With Aaron Alexis it was the same story, he had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, and was on multiple prescription medications.
Anytime you have someone who is having mental issues and place them on a mind altering drug that numbs them who knows what can happen. I recently had a patient who after going through a divorce was suffering from depression. But after being placed on an anti depressant he started contemplating suicide, and was also experiencing other extreme thoughts of violence and overall lack of emotion. After he got off of it, back to normal. So why the sudden rise in school shootings? Has there been all of a sudden a huge influx of guns that are easy to get a hold of? I don't think so, but even if there was that doesn't make someone commit horrific crimes. The one obvious thing that no one can deny is the huge influx of people, especially children on psychiatric prescription medications.
So besides Aaron Alexis, who else has been on these drugs...
- Adam Lanza, shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
- Kip Kinkel was withdrawing from Prozac and had been prescribed Ritalin when he murdered his mother and stepfather then shot 22 classmates, killing two, in 1998.
- Christopher Pittman was withdrawing from Luvox and from Paxil when he killed his paternal grandparents in 2001.
- Elizabeth Bush, who fired at fellow students in Williamsport, Pa., in 2001, wounding one, was on Prozac.
- Jason Hoffman, was on Effexor and Celexa when he opened fire at his El Cajon, Calif., high school, wounding five.
- Shawn Cooper of Notus, Idaho, was on antidepressants when he fired a shotgun on students and staff.
- T.J. Solomon, on antidepressants, wounded six at his Conyers, Ga., high school.
- Eric Harris was taking Luvox when he and fellow student Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others before turning their guns on themselves at Columbine High School in Colorado.
-At Virginia Tech in 2007, where 32 were murdered, authorities found “prescription medications related to the treatment of psychological problems had been found among Mr. Cho’s effects,” according to the New York Times.
This can no longer be ignored, before putting yourself or a child on these type of medications serious weight the consequences. For more information on this topic I have a whole radio show on it that you can listen to here... /media.html
If you would like information on approaching mental health issues contact our office in Dallas for a free consultation.
An open minded place for alternative thought and discussion.